Courtesy of PurpleEagles.com
EASTON, Pa. – The Niagara baseball team was narrowly defeated, 8-7, by the Lafayette Leopards in extra innings on Saturday.
Final Score: Lafayette 8, Niagara 7 (12 innings)
Game Leaders: Trevor McCauley (4 hits, 2 RBI, 2 runs), Peter Battaglia (3 hits, 1 RBI)
Records: Lafayette (8-43), Niagara (20-19)
Location: Kamine Stadium – Easton, Pa.
- The Leopards got on the board first, taking a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first innings. The Purple Eagles answered in the top of the third. McCauley doubled to left center to score Battaglia and Philippe Langlois doubled to right field to score McCauley and give Niagara a 2-1 lead.
- NU extended its lead in the top of the seventh. With bases loaded, Wyatt Olson was walked, scoring Battaglia. McCauley then scored on a balk to put the Purple Eagles up, 4-1.
- In the top of the eighth innings, RBI singles from Tanner Kirwer and McCauley gave Niagara a four-run lead, 6-2. The Leopards scored three times in the bottom of the inning to cut the Purple Eagles’ lead to only one run, 6-5.
- In the top of the ninth, Battaglia singled to right field to score Joel Brophy and put NU up 7-5, but a two-run homer from the Leopards in the bottom of the ninth tied up the score and forced the game into extra innings.
- Another homerun from Lafayette in the bottom of the 12th inning secured its narrow 8-7 victory over the Purple Eagles.
Inside the Numbers
- McCauley led the Purple Eagles with a season-high four hits and also had a team-best two RBI. McCauley and Nick Bernick led the team in doubles with two each.
- Battaglia, Bernick and Brophy also had multi-hit performances; they each recorded three hits against the Leopards.
- On the mound, starter Matthew Brash fanned four and allowed one earned run in 4.0 innings pitched.
- Closer Alex MacKinnon (2-2) took the loss for NU. He struck out two batters and allowed one earned run in 1.2 innings pitched.
- The Purple Eagles and the Leopards close out their series with a single game on Sunday, May 7 at 1:05 p.m.