Courtesy of PurpleEagles.com
NIAGARA UNIV., N.Y. – The Niagara baseball team earned a 6-5 walk-off win over the defending MAAC champions, Fairfield, on Friday.
Final Score: Niagara 6, Fairfield 5 (10 innings)
Game Leaders: Peter Battaglia (2 RBI, 2 Runs Scored), Joel Brophy (2 RBI)
Records: Niagara (19-17, 9-7 MAAC), Fairfield (23-16, 10-3 MAAC)
Location: Bobo Field – Niagara University, N.Y.
- The Stags got on the board in the top of the third inning, taking a 1-0 lead over Niagara, but a two-run home run from Battaglia in the top of the fourth quickly put NU in the lead, 2-1.
- Niagara extended its lead in the top of the seventh. With bases loaded, Brophy was hit by a pitch, sending home Trevor McCauley. With bases still loaded, Dziados reached base on an error by Fairfield’s first baseman, scoring Philippe Langlois to put the Purple Eagles ahead of the MAAC-leading Stags, 4-1.
- The Stags made a comeback in the top of the ninth and took back the lead, 5-4, but Niagara tied things up, 5-5, in the bottom of the ninth after Tanner Kirwer singled to short to score Julian Gallup, and forced the game into extra innings.
- In the top of the tenth inning, with two outs on the board and a runner on second base, Matt McCuen struck out Fairfield’s Tim Zeng to keep the Purple Eagles alive.
- In the bottom of the tenth, with bases loaded, Brophy reached base on a fielder’s choice, scoring Battaglia for the game-winning run.
Inside the Numbers
- Battaglia and Brophy led Niagara with two RBI each. Battaglia also had a team-high two runs scored.
- Kirwer led the Purple Eagles in hits with three.
- Greg Cullen had two hits and one triple for the Purple and White.
- On the mound, starter Matthew Brash struck out three batters and allowed one earned run in 6.0 innings pitched.
- McCuen (2-3) picked up his second win of the season; he fanned two in 1.2 innings pitched.
- The Purple Eagles continue their series with Fairfield on Saturday, April 20. They host the Stags for a doubleheader at Bobo Field starting at 12:00 p.m.