Pickin’ Splinters

From yesterday’s dugout discussion:

Professional baseball in Rochester dates back to 1877 “when a team sponsored by the Rochester Baseball Association joined the International Association.” (pg. 6 Silver Seasons – Mandelaro & Pitoniak). Other teams in the league included Syracuse, Toronto, Buffalo…the usual suspects.

The International League dates back to 1885. Rochester had a team in that league. The current franchise can be traced back to somewhere around 1889 (One can never be too sure about such things).

Teams from Rochester have been known as the Bronchos (I have no idea), the Brownies (in honor of George Eastman’s camera), the Hustlers (circa 1909), and the Tribe to name a few.

The Cardinals bought the franchise in 1927 or ’28 and built what would become known as Silver Stadium at 500 Norton St. The grand old venue opened in 1929 and stood until 1997.

The Hall of Fame in Cooperstown opened in 1936. Its first class: Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Christy Mathewson, and… Walter Johnson. Rogers Hornsby entered in 1942. No elections in ’40 and ’41.

Bomber! Are you still with us?

Some trivia for you: which college’s baseball stadium is named after Christy Mathewson?

More trivia: Gino mentioned Steve Finley yesterday. In 1991, the Baltimore Orioles traded Steve Finley along with Curt Schilling and Pete Harnisch for whom? And yes, all of the aforementioned players spent time in Rochester.

‘KB’ are you with us?

Which hall-of-famer was known as ‘Stretch’?

8 Responses to "Pickin’ Splinters"

1. Aaron   July 30, 2007 at 4:03 pm

Was it a college baseball stadium? I know Bucknell has a stadium named after him, just not sure it is a baseball stadium. He played football in college as well. The town he is from, Factoryville, PA, actually celebrates Christy Mathewson Day..

The useless knowledge in my head…

2. Aaron   July 30, 2007 at 4:04 pm

Also can you imagine that the Orioles gave away Finley, Schilling and Harnisch for Glenn Davis? What a steal that was for Houston..

3. Aaron   July 30, 2007 at 4:07 pm

I had to look up player nicknamed “Stretch”… While I was there, I saw another good one..

Anyone know what Hall of Famer was nicknamed “Chairman of the Board” ??

4. ccww   July 30, 2007 at 4:20 pm

Believe it or not, the ‘Chairman of the Board’ was asked in the dugout Saturday. Gino, do you want to answer that one?

Casey
    The answer was Bucknell. I am thinking it is a dual facility – baseball/ football.

5. Wally   July 30, 2007 at 5:23 pm

I believe the answer to Casey’s question is Willie “Stretch” McCovey, the 6’6″ first baseman for the Giants who sidekicked with the Say Hey kid for many years.

6. Gino   July 31, 2007 at 4:41 pm

Sure, paul I’ll take the honors, Whitey Ford was the chairman of the board. I’m not sure what board, though.
    Since I’m here let me throw something else in form your beloved sox, What is Oil can Boyd’s real name?

7. ccww   July 31, 2007 at 6:02 pm

Gino,

Welcome aboard my friend.

Ah you are catching me off an afternoon-slumber. Oil-Can Boyd? I am drawing a blank.

I called you yesterday about the Dotel trade. What do you think?

Casey…er…Paul

8. ccww   July 31, 2007 at 9:52 pm

Ok – Dennis ‘Oil Can’ Boyd. I looked it up. What can I say – his nickname was soooo good that I could not recall nis real name. I actually saw him pitch for the expos.

who was known as ‘the hawk’?