Courtesy of GoGriffs.com
Canisius junior right-handed pitcher Matt Duffy became the 15th player in program history to be drafted on Monday as he was selected by the Boston Red Sox in the fourth round of the 2023 MLB Draft.
Duffy is the first Golden Griffin to be selected since Tyler Smith was picked in the eighth round by the Los Angeles Angels in the 2018 draft. The Burlington, Ontario, native is just the fifth junior in program history to be drafted, and his selection in the fourth round (pick No. 115) represents the highest draft pick in Canisius program history.
With Duffy’s selection by Boston on Monday, all 15 Canisius players drafted have been taken by an American League team. Duffy is the second Canisius player to be drafted by the Red Sox organization, joining former Griff hurler Joe Mamott, who was taken in the sixth round (159th overall) in the 1994 edition of the MLB Draft.
“I am truly proud of Matt,” Canisius head baseball coach Matt Mazurek said. “He is one of the best to ever do it at Canisius and this opportunity is something he created for himself. He has grown and matured as a true professional during his time with our program and we are all excited to follow his journey from here. He has earned everything every step of the way.”
Duffy compiled a 17-5 record during his three seasons with the Griffs, highlighted by an 8-2 ledger during the 2022 campaign which saw Canisius claim its fourth MAAC Championship.
“I’m super excited to be drafted by such a legendary organization!” Duffy said. “It’s been a dream of mine since I was just a little guy playing rookie ball. To see it come to fruition for not only me, but for my parents, is an awesome feeling. I cannot wait to start working with the Red Sox pitching development team as I continue to make myself the best possible pitcher I can be!”
I cannot wait to begin working with the Red Sox pitching development team to make me the best possible pitcher I can be.
The school’s all-time strikeout leader with 278 career punchouts, Duffy is the only pitcher in Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference history to record 100-or-more strikeouts in multiple seasons. He first surpassed the century mark with a school-record 124 strikeouts during his sophomore season before following up that effort by fanning 119 batters in 2023.
The 2023 MAAC Pitcher of the Year and an All-MAAC First Team selection, Duffy paced the league in total strikeouts, strikeouts per nine innings (13.28), WHIP (1.14) and hits allowed per nine innings (7.14) in the recently-completed season. The 2022 MAAC Championship Most Valuable Player, Duffy was also a MAAC All-Championship Team selection in 2021 and 2022, as well as an All-MAAC First Team selection in 2022.
In addition to his MAAC accolades, Duffy is a two-time American Baseball Coaches Association/Rawlings Division I All-Northeast Region selection, earning second-team honors in 2022 and first-team recognition this past year.
Canisius Draft Picks
• Matt Duffy # – 2023 (Boston Red Sox, 4th round)
• Tyler Smith – 2018 (Los Angeles Angels, 8th round)
• Jake Lumley – 2017 (Oakland Athletics, 33rd round)
• Brett Siddall # – 2015 (Oakland Athletics, 13th round)
• Connor Panas – 2015 (Toronto Blue Jays, 9th round)
• Devon Stewart – 2015 (Cleveland Indians, 9th round)
• Rohn Pierce # – 2014 (Seattle Mariners, 19th round)
• Garrett Cortright # – 2013 (Baltimore Orioles, 40th round)
• Sean Jamieson – 2011 (Oakland Athletics, 17th round)
• Chris Cox – 2011 (Toronto Blue Jays, 39th round)
• Shane Davis – 2011 (Toronto Blue Jays, 42nd round)
• Steve McQuail # – 2010 (Toronto Blue Jays, 30th round)
• Kevin Mahoney – 2009 (New York Yankees, 23rd round)
• Kevin Mailloux – 2009 (Seattle Mariners, 45th round)
• Joe Mamott # – 1994 (Boston Red Sox, 6th round)
# – selected as a junior