23. When doing post-game interviews, sounding like Nuke LaLoosh from Bull Durham never gets old.
22. The Sox CAN actually take the pennant more than once in a decade. For that matter they CAN win the Series more than once in a decade.
21. The Sox can win a series without Papi or Manny hitting a home run.
20. Grounding into a record number of double plays is not a clear indicator of failure.
19. No lead is ever safe in baseball.
18. Being a baseball fan (or for that matter a sports fan) on the East Coast can be brutal. 8:35 pm start times?!?!?! I need more than four hours of sleep to function at work.
17. Eric Gagne = mop up.
16. English Premier League fans have nothing on Rockie fans.
15. Scott Boras = tactless. Why does this guy require so much attention that he needs to make announcements about his clients during World Series games?
14. Julio Lugo is better fielding a line drive in the hole between third and short than he is catching a pop fly on the outfield grass.
13. Mike Lowell looks good in a Sox uniform, and Theo needs to see to it that that continues.
12. If you chew gum hard enough you can make your hat move. Check out Clint Hurdle the next time you get a chance.
11. The years of toiling on the rug in Montreal is finally having an effect on Vladdy Guerrero.
10. Online dentists can prescribe HGH.
9. Miracles happen every day – you need to look around. Consider Jon Lester – less than a year ago he was going through chemotherapy. Last night he gave up three hits in five and two-thirds.
8. A game 7, 2-out Grand Slam can heal a mountain of troubles – ask JD Drew – though he would probably trade that ‘job’ to relieve the discomfort his infant son endures from a genetic hip displacement condition.
7. Mess with the High Life, and the High Life will mess with you – “11.50 for hamburger? Y’all must be crazy!”
6. Baseball is a marathon not a sprint. Knew this before the playoffs, but it bears repeating. Lotta folks were breathing down Tito’s neck as the Sox lead in the AL East dwindled. Give Tito credit for resting Okajima, and not rushing Youk and Manny back from injury.
5. Even Tito can go to the well one too many times. Okajima’s arm looked like rubber in game 4.
4. One doesn’t have to worry about going to the well too often when one has Jonathan Papelbon waiting in the bullpen.
3. Money isn’t everything – Papelbon, Jacoby Ellsbury, Dustin Pedroia, Youk, Manny Delcarmen and Hideki Okajima – their collective salary this year: $3,155,000.
2. I would rather have Kaz Matsui batting in the ninth inning of an elimination game than Jamey Carroll.
1. Removing your batting helmet DOES NOT make you run faster.