All Gold Glove Team

This year marks the 50th anniversary of the Gold Glove award. Now is your chance to nominate your all Gold Glove team. Two leagues – one team. If you need a guide refer to the baseball reference link in the blogroll.

15 Responses to "All Gold Glove Team"

1. Casey   April 2, 2007 at 8:57 pm

P – Greg Maddux

C – Johnny Bench – Big Red Machine et al.

1b – Donnie Baseball – oh wait…Year 2000! Year 2000! It feels good to say that again.

2b – Ryne Sandberg – Harry Caray: “If I was a woman…”

3b – Brooks Robinson – serious honorable mention to Graig Nettles because of the ’77 World Series.

SS – Mark Belanger – partly because I love the constipated face that Wally is making right now as he says: “What!?!?” Partly because Ozzie played most of his games on the consistent bounce of the Busch Stadium artificial turf, and Belanger played at Memorial Stadium. Partly because Belanger is too easily forgotten.

LF – Carl Yazstremski – he made the Green Monster his ally.

CF – Say Hey

RF – Roberto Clemente

2. Aaron   April 3, 2007 at 12:25 pm

Going to be a little different but:

P – Greg Maddux

C – Pudge Rodriguez

1B – Keith “sniff” Hernandez

2B – Tie – Roberto Alomar and Ryne Sandberg

SS – I don’t remember Mark Belanger, so Ozzie Smith

3B – Of course Brooks Robinson

LF – Manny Ramirez.. Kidding..Would like to say, Shoeless Joe Jackson “where triples go to die” but I don’t think he played LF until late in his career. So I will agree with Yaz.

CF – Willie Mays

RF – Roberto Clemente

3. Wally   April 3, 2007 at 12:58 pm

Some differences here, too … probably just trying to bring in some “new talent”.

P – Jim Kaat (he was Maddux before Maddux as a fielding P)

C – Pudge Rodriguez (nudges out Bench)

1B – Mark Grace

2B – Ryne Sandberg (The Natural)

SS – Ozzie Smith (Belanger??? Puh-lease!)

3B – Ron Santo (He’s the NL’s Brooks); Mike Schmidt

LF – Billy Williams

CF – Willie Mays, special mention to Jim Edmonds & Kirby Puckett

RF – Roberto Clemente

4. Casey   April 3, 2007 at 1:41 pm

Ron Santo?????? And you can argue Belanger.

5. Wally   April 3, 2007 at 2:25 pm

That was immediate retaliation for Belanger. We’re even.

6. Mike   April 3, 2007 at 7:56 pm

Gotta go with talent I saw play, for the most part.

P – Greg Maddux (respect to Kaat adn Mussina)
    C – Pudge Rodriguez
    1B – Donny Baseball Mattingly
    2B – Roberto Alomar (love the Harry Caray comment)
    3B – Mike Schmidt
    SS – Tough! I’ll go with The Wizard of Ozzie, but a lo of worthy candidates
    OF – I’m gonna pick my top 3 since I’ dplay these guys anywhere in my outfield
    Tori Hunter
    Ken Griffey Jr.
    Willie Mays (the one I did not see, but have to give a lot of props to)

7. Hockey Coach   April 4, 2007 at 9:51 am

1B Bill Buckner
    2B Chuck Knoblauck (sp?)
    SS Spike Owen
    3B A-Rod
    RF Jose Canseco
    C Manny Mota
    LF Manny Ramirez
    P That one handed pitcher Abbott…this is the only serious one on the list!

8. Casey   April 4, 2007 at 11:41 am

Schultzy,

Great to hear from you.

9. Casey   April 4, 2007 at 11:58 am

Ah yes – Jose Canseco and the classic ball off the noggin play.

10. JD   April 6, 2007 at 1:04 pm

C- Bench
    1st – Mattingly
    2nd – Morgan – I also considered Whitaker which would have changed my SS to Trammel because they were so good together, kind of like a nice bowl of pasta, a fresh loaf of Italian (that’s Eye Talian) bread and a bottle of Red Wine
    SS – Ozzie Smith
    3rd – Schmidt
    RF – Evans – “1” rating and a minus 5 arm in Stratomatic for a ton of years. Hall of Fame?
    CF – Jones, Andruw
    LF – Griffey – not sure if he ever played left but he could have
    P – Maddux – I hope that SOB pitches for 20 more years. I am at the age where there are not that many players my age anymore. He is close and I cheer for any player that old – more for my own sense of mortality than for anything else.

3 Reds is pretty good – thought about Concepcion or maybe Tony Perez but that would be stretching it. Maybe even Pete Rose for the number of positions he played.

And, uh, hockey coach – nice try – must be distracted with all of the wedding plans. By the way congrats to you on your upcoming nuptuals.

Your Chuck Knoblach reference made me think of another second baseman that played for the Yanks who all of a sudden hit the wall with fielding and made some of the most god awful throwing errors I have ever seen. Can’t remember his name but I do remember covering my eyes with my hands and peaking between the fingers every time I was watching and a ball was hit his way.
    Anyone remember who I am thinking of?

11. Casey   April 6, 2007 at 1:52 pm

Wow! I am stumped. Certainly not Willie Randolph.

12. Casey   April 6, 2007 at 6:53 pm

JD – nothing wrong with your memory – STEVE SAX! Wow! I had forgotten about him. It was because of Sax that they couldn’t sell tickets down the 1st base line.

13. Casey   April 8, 2007 at 4:00 pm

JD,

What no Chris Sabo?

14. Z Dubbs   April 24, 2007 at 7:33 pm

P: Maddux
    1B: Donnny Baseball
    2B: Ryno (of course)
    3B: Santo (so underrated)
    SS: Wizard of Oz
    C: Johnny Bench
    LF: Carl Yaz
    CF: Willie Mays
    RF: Al Kaline

15. Casey   April 24, 2007 at 10:47 pm

Z Dubbs,

Now that’s what I’m talkin’ ’bout! Welcome aboard! Let’s hear some more from ya. Another Santo fan – wow!