ICBL Sunday Wrap: Cooper sparks Fish; Capital City rallies in game two

Zachary Carpin (Clarkson) was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth to propel the Flyin’ Fish past the Capital City Reds. Carpin stepped to the plate with the bases loaded and no outs and showed enough patience to extend the at bat until be was plunked.

The Reds struck first in this one, with Mike Snow driving in Ryan Burnside with an RBI double. Capital City held a 1-0 lead through its turn at bat in the fourth inning. The Flyin’ Fish put together a two-out rally to tie the game. With bases empty, Santino Rosso (Hofstra) singled and Cody Cooper (Slippery Rock) tripled, knotting the game at one.


The game remained a pitcher’s duel until the ninth inning. Before that, the pitching dominated the affair. Branden Voytko started for Capital City and threw six inning while allowing one run on three hits and no walks. Voytko also punched out 10 batters. He was relieved by Clarke, who went two scoreless innings and gave up two hits and two walks.

For the Flyin’ Fish, Drew Delaney (Slippery Rock) threw five innings and surrendered the one run on four hits. Delaney also struck out five Reds over his time on the mound. Jaret Murray (Finger Lakes CC) replaced him and hurled four scoreless frames, allowing two hits and three walks while also racking up six strikeouts.


Rosso finished the game 2-for-4 for the Fish while Justin LoTemple (Alfred State) also helped the cause, finishing the day 1-for-2 with a double. Burnside was the only player for Capital City to record multiple hits on the day, accumulating two in four at bats. Snow’s double was the sole extra-base hit for the Reds.

Ryan Burnside drove in Jeremie Goyer in the fifth inning to break a 1-1 tie and give Capital City the victory. Burnside’s RBI broke a tie that held since the top of the second inning.

For the second time in the day, the Reds kicked off the scoring in the first inning. This time, three consecutive singles to lead off the bottom of the first inning ended with Tucker Criswell driving in Michael Morgan. Tyler Broderick (Keuka) scampered home for the Monarchs in the top of the second inning on a wild pitch to knot the game at up. That set up Burnside’s big hit.

Located at 1475 E. Henrietta Road near Monroe Community College.

Marty Williams was the Monarchs’ starting pitcher and went the distance. Williams allowed two runs on seven hits and two walks. He also punched out two Reds in the game. His counterpart, Goyer, only lasted five innings but collected the win. He surrendered one run on four hits and three walks, while accumulating two strikeouts. Burnside came in and threw a 1-2-3 seventh inning without recording a strikeout.


Burnside finished the contest 2-for-3 and Kayne Mcgee was 1-for-3 with a double. As for the Monarchs, Dylan Broderick was 2-for-3 and Tyler Broderick was 1-for-3 with his RBI triple.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.