Courtesy of RITAthletics.com
ROCHESTER, N.Y. – Junior goaltender Kolby Matthews totaled 29 saves while three RIT goal scorers pushed the Tigers to a 3-1 victory over visiting Mercyhurst, Saturday, in Atlantic Hockey action at the Gene Polisseni Center.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- RIT opened the scoring with 13:10 left in the first period. Freshman forward Carter Wilkie brought the puck across the blue line and evaded a defender with a nifty toe drag before beating Laker goalie Kyle McClellan with a stick-side finish.
- RIT sophomore forward Cody Laskosky took a puck from junior forward Caleb Moretz in the Tiger zone and beat the Mercyhurst defense all the way back to flip a back-handed shot over McClellan’s stick with 6:16 left in the second period.
- Mercyhurst got on the board skating, 4-on-3, in the final minute of the second period. Dante Sheriff beat Matthews inside the left post with a wrist shot from the left face-off circle with 21.7 on the clock.
- RIT took a two-goal lead with 8:23 left in the third. Senior forward Jake Joffe took a shot in front originally saved by McClellan, but senior forward Andrew Petrucci collected the rebound and fed it back to Joffe in front for a short finish.
- Wikie scored his fourth goal of the season and third in the Tigers’ last four games. He also notched a goal and an assist in Friday night’s 3-3 tie with Mercyhurst.
- Sophomore defenseman Aiden Hansen-Bukata was credited with an assist on Wilkie’s goal for his fourth helper in five games.
- Laskosky’s goal was his first point of the season.
- RIT has killed 27 of 30 power play chances this season. Only one of the three power-play goals the Tigers have allowed has been 5-on-4 – the other two were skating 4-on-3.
- Matthews improved to 4-0-2 on the season, finishing one stop short of his fourth 30-save effort of the season.
The Tigers hit the road to continue Atlantic Hockey play next Saturday and Sunday (Nov. 6-7) at American International. Face-off set for 5:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m., respectively.