Courtesy of RITAthletics.com
ROCHESTER, N.Y. – The RIT baseball team earned a doubleheader split with visiting Union, Saturday. The Tigers fell, 6-1, in the opener before making up a 4-1 deficit with five runs over the final three innings, including a two-out, walk-off hit by Ian Libby (Melrose, MA/Malden Catholic) in the bottom of the ninth, for a 6-5 victory in game-two.
GAME 2 – RIT 6, Union 5
- Libby finished 3-for-4 with a triple, a walk, two runs scored and two RBI to lead the Tigers in the game-two comeback.
- Daniel Capra (North Salem, NY/North Salem) drew a lead-off walk in the bottom of the first inning and, after stealing second, came home on a Libby triple to the right-centerfield gap to put RIT on the board.
- Union tied the game with a run in the fourth on a sacrifice fly by Kevin Chaimowitz and scored three times in the fifth. Chris Symington roped a two-out triple to right field and scored on a single by Jack Koch, before back-to-back doubles by Joey Palko and Colin Kelly pushed the Dutchmen to a 4-1 lead.
- RIT started the comeback with two runs in the seventh, started by a lead-off walk by Libby and another by Kyle Watson (Liverpool, NY/Liverpool) with one out before Kyle Poorman (Lebanon, PA/Cedar Crest) knocked a two-out, pinch-hit double to the right-centerfield gap.
- The Tigers took a 5-4 lead with two more runs in the eighth. Patrick Backall drew a one-out walk and advanced to second on a two-out Libby single up the middle before Luke McNamara (Harrisburg, PA/Central Dauphin) drew a walk to load the bases. Watson tied the game with an RBI walk before Brooks Vertoske (Horseheads, NY/Horseheads) was hit by a pitch to bring home Libby with the go-ahead run.
- Union tied the game in the top of the ninth following a lead-off walk by Matt Toy. Pinch-runner Joe Panuccio eventually came around on an RBI single to right by Palko, who finished the game 4-for-5, with two runs scored and two batted in.
- Randy Dodig (Saugerties, NY/Saugerties) led off the bottom of the ninth with walk and stole second before advancing to third on a long fly-out to right field by Chris Reilly (Beachwood, OH/Beachwood). Libby smacked a two-out hit off the base of the centerfield wall to bring home Dodig for the deciding run.
- Jon Opalewski (Rockaway, NJ/Morris Knolls) earned the relief victory, holding Union to two hits and one run over the final three innings while striking out four batters.
GAME 1 – Union 6, RIT 1
- Union broke a scoreless tie with three runs in the third before plating two more in the fourth and another in the fifth.
- RIT scored its lone run in the fifth after Vertoske led off with a double just inside the left field line and advanced to third on a ground-out by John Bagley (Rochester, NY/Churchville-Chili). Dodig grounded out to third to plate Bagley.
- Tiger starter Jack Leahey (Warwick, NY/Warwick Valley) took the loss, allowing six runs on eight hits in five innings, striking out seven while walking six.
Union hosts RIT tomorrow (April 18) for a Liberty League doubleheader scheduled to start at 1:00 p.m.