Courtesy of RITAthletics.com
ROCHESTER, N.Y. – RIT senior forward Nick Bruce (Fall River, Nova Scotia/Johnstown Tomahawks) scored the go-ahead goal with 12:08 left in regulation to lift the Tigers to a 4-3 victory over visiting Robert Morris, Sunday afternoon.
RIT completed the weekend sweep over the Colonials, who were ranked 19th in this week’s USCHO.com national poll, after also picking up a 6-1 victory on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- RIT opened the scoring with 16:12 left in the first period after sophomore forward Elijah Gonsalves (Scarborough, Ontario) scored a power-play goal off a cross-ice feed from junior forward Will Calverley (Scarborough, Ontario).
- Robert Morris got on the board with its own power play goal with 2:46 left in the first after senior forward Nick Prkusic tipped home a shot from the left point by senior defenseman Nick Jenny on the Tiger crease.
- The Tigers re-took the lead with 11:03 left in the second period after junior forward Kobe Walked re-directed a shot from the point by senior defenseman Dan Willett (Bayville, N.Y.) into the Colonial net.
- Robert Morris re-took a 3-2 lead with two goals in a 48-second span. Grant Hebert took advantage of a turnover behind the Tiger cage and jammed a shot inside the right post with 7:36 on the clock before another Tiger turnover led to a 3-on-1 Colonial break finished by freshman forward Randy Hernandez at 6:48.
- RIT re-tied the game with 13:02 left in the third period after sophomore defenseman Ryan Nicholson (Mississauga, Ontario) scored on a left-point shot through a crowd in front of the RMU goal.
- The Tigers scored the game-winning goal 54 seconds later after Walker beat to Robert Morris defenders to a loose puck at the top of the zone and send a pass to Calverley on the left wing. Calverley slipped a pass in front of the crease to Bruce in front of the right post for the deciding tally.
- RIT senior goalie Ian Andriano (Barrie, Ontario/Ottawa Jr. Senators) totaled 29 saves for his second-straight victory as RMU finished the game with a 32-27 shot advantage.
- RIT entered the game 0-6-1 this season when trailing after two periods of play.
- Bruce was also credited with an assist on Walker’s goal for his 40th career point. He has totaled 10 goals and 30 assists during his Tiger career.
- Senior forward Jake Hamacher (Corona, Calif.) logged his 50th career assist on the opening goal of the game.
- RIT avenged a pair of road losses at Robert Morris, 3-1 and 4-3 on Jan. 2-3 earlier this season.
RIT hosts Niagara on Wednesday (Feb. 24) at 5:05 p.m. in its final home game of the regular season.