Courtesy of RITAthletics.com
BUFFALO, N.Y. – The RIT men’s hockey team lost at Canisius, 3-0, Saturday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Canisius scored a pair of power-play tallies during a three-minute stretch of the second period. Sophomore forward Keaton Mastrodonato sent a pass across the RIT zone into the left faceoff circle to junior forward Lee Lapid, who beat Tiger senior goalie Ian Andriano (Barrie, Ontario/Ottawa Jr. Senators) to the left post with a one-timer with 15:19 on the clock.
- Junior forward Kevin Obssuth finished a scrum on the RIT crease, finding the net on a rebound after two Andriano saves with 12:58 on the clock.
- Canisius closed the scoring 2:49 into the third period after junior forward J.D. Pogue came up with the puck in the slot off a faceoff in the Tiger zone and scored on a quick wrist shot over Andriano’s stick.
- RIT went scoreless on six power play opportunities while Canisius notched two goals on six power-play chances.
- Andriano finished the game with 30 saves in his third start of the season.
- RIT had multiple strong scoring chances but couldn’t solve Canisius sophomore goalie Jacob Barczewski, who finished with 35 saves.
- RIT was held without a goal for the first time this season.and for the first time since a 3-0 setback to Air Force last February.
- Canisius defeated RIT, 5-3 on Friday.
RIT hosts Robert Morris for two games next Saturday and Sunday (Feb. 20-21).