Courtesy of RITAthletics.com
ERIE, Pa. – RIT sophomore forwards Elijah Gonsalves (Scarborough, Ontario) and Caleb Moretz (Fairbanks, Alaska) both scored a first-period goal, but it was host Mercyhurst bouncing back for the 6-2 victory, Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- RIT got on the board with 8:31 on the clock. Senior forward Jake Hamacher (Corona, Calif.) fed Gonsalves in the left face-off circle for a goal to open the scoring.
- Mercyhurst tied the game after a clearing attempt by Tiger senior goalie Logan Drackett (Calgary, Alberta) from behind the RIT net popped off the glass into the Tiger slot for an easy finish by junior center Geoff Kitt with 6:43 on the clock.
- RIT re-took the lead with 3:11 left in the period after Mercyhurst was whistled for a five-minute facemasking major. Moretz finished a rebound in the slot off a Hamacher shot to convert the power-play attempt.
- Mercyhurst re-took the lead with a pair of goals in the second period. Sophomore forward Jonathan Bendorf tipped a puck past Drackett seconds after an RIT power play ended with 7:30 on the clock before freshman forward Noah Kane found the net with 19 seconds left for the 3-2 lead.
- Mercyhurst added three goals in the third period to put the game out of reach.
- Hamacher’s two assists moved him into second on the team with nine assists and 15 points. He also scored a goal in last night’s 2-1 victory over Mercyhurst at the Polisseni Center.
- RIT was whistled for seven penalties for a season-high 22 PIM after entering the night averaging the fewest PIM (7.8) in Atlantic Hockey
- Drackett was credited with 19 saves while RIT out-shot Mercyhurst, 31-25.
RIT is next scheduled to host Robert Morris for two games on Saturday and Sunday, Feb. 20-21.