Courtesy of RITAthletics.com
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – RIT sophomore forward Kobe Walker (Lloydminster, Alberta/Lloydminster Bobcats)and senior forward Shawn Cameron (Sherbrooke, Quebec/Cumberland Grads) each scored second-period goals, but it was host American International earning a 4-2 victory in Atlantic Hockey action, Friday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- AIC senior forward Joel Kocur gave the Yellowjackets a 2-0 lead in the first seven minutes of action, tipping a loose puck under RIT junior goalie Logan Drackett’s (Calgary, Alberta/Calgary Canucks) pads at 15:46 before scoring a short-handed wrist shot on a right-wing rush two minutes later.
- RIT got on the board in the fifth minute of the second. Sophomore defenseman Spencer Berry (White Rock, British Columbia/Langley Rivermen) blocked a Yellowjacket shot that deflected to junior forward Nick Bruce (Fall River, Nova Scotia/Johnstown Tomahawks) for a Tiger counter attack. Sophomore forward Will Calverley (Scarborough, Ontario/Chilliwack Chiefs) then hit Walker with a cross-ice feed on the right wing for a scoring wrist-shot.
- However, AIC responded 11 seconds later on a goal by junior forward Tobias Fladeby to make it a 3-2 lead with 15:38 left in the second.
- The Tigers pulled back within one after McKay sprung Cameron with a long pass out of the RIT zone. Cameron out-skated the Yellowjacket defense and beat Skog with 7:53 left in the second.
- The teams were scoreless into the final minute of regulation. The Tigers had a minute and 10 seconds left on a power play with 2:22 on the clock before Drackett headed to the bench at 1:31 for a short 6-on-4 opportunity. The Yellowjackets caused a turnover in the neutral zone before senior forward Hugo Reinhardt skated on the empty RIT net to put the game out of reach with a minute on the clock.
- AIC finished the game with a 26-23 shooting advantage.
- Drackett finished with 22 saves
- Cameron scored his team-leading seventh goal of the season.
- Senior forward Ryan Kruper (Sherwood Park, Alberta/Sherwood Park Crusaders) made his 100th career appearance in an RIT sweater.
Geneseo take on host AIC again on Saturday (Nov. 30) at 1:05 p.m.