Courtesy of Geneseoknights.com
HOUGHTON, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo senior back Caleb Murthy broke a 1-1 tie in the 61st minute with his first goal of the season to give the Knights a victory over host Houghton, 2-1, at Burke Field on Tuesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo played most of the game with a man advantage after a Houghton player was sent off with a red card in the 15th minute of play.
- In the 34th minute, first-year forward Eren Aydin scored his second goal of the season, finishing a cross from sophomore forward Ariel Samoohy to put the Knights ahead, 1-0.
- Houghton drew level just before halftime and the two teams went into the break knotted at 1-1.
- In the 61st minute, senior back Ben Licht served in a free kick from 40 yards out and Murthy finished it with a high looping header over the keeper and into the goal, granting Geneseo the 2-1 advantage.
- The Knights’ defense held in the final minutes, holding Houghton without a shot throughout the second half.
- Geneseo opened the season with four consecutive wins for the first time since 1989.
- Aydin tied senior forward Bryan Wager (Honeoye Falls-Lima) for the team lead with two goals through four games.
- The Knights outshot Houghton, 12-2, and earned six corners while limiting the Highlanders to just one.
Geneseo will travel to face Hobart on Saturday, Sept. 14 with kickoff scheduled for 2:00 p.m.