Courtesy of goBrockport.com
BROCKPORT, N.Y. – The College at Brockport baseball team used 13 hits, including two homeruns, to defeat non-conference opponent, St. John Fisher College, 13-6. The battle saw three ties and five lead changes before the Green and Gold used big late innings to secure the victory.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP –
· The Golden Eagles sit at 13-16 overall in 2019
· The Cardinals move to 18-10 on the season
HOW IT HAPPENED –
· Despite falling behind 2-0 in the third inning, the team fought back to even the score.
· Charlie Serino drove in the first run of the game with a sacrifice fly that allowed Daniel DelGaizo to cross home plate.
· A few batters later, Tom Kretzler drove in the tying run with an RBI single to left field, driving in Nicholas Pastore.
· In the fourth inning, Brockport took advantage of mistakes, starting with a wild pitch that brought in DelGaizo.
· Liam O’Leary then worked a walk with the bases loaded to bring in another run and give his team a 4-2 advantage.
· The Cardinals scored three runs in the fifth to reclaim their lead.
· The Golden Eagles grabbed the advantage again in the bottom of the sixth after an opposition error on a hard-hit ball by Lou Miceli, allowed two runners to score and make the score 6-5.
· St. John Fisher evened up the game in the seventh at 6-6, but Brockport once again answered.
· Brad Nowak hit a rocket over the left field wall to give the team a 7-6 lead, one they did not give back the rest of the way.
· Pastore caught fire with an RBI single in the seventh, before hitting a grand slam in the eighth to put the game out of reach.
· The four run, eighth inning, allowed the Golden Eagles to secure a 13-6 win.
KEY GAME STATISTICS –
· Pastore finished the day going 3-for-5 at the plate with five RBI, three runs scored, one homerun and a stolen base.
· DelGaizo hit 2-for-5 with three runs scored
· Serino was impressive, hitting 3-for-3 with three runs scored as well.
· Kretzler started the game on the mound and threw 4.1 innings, allowing five runs on six hits.
· Maddux Minton tossed 2.1 innings in relief and gave up just one run on five hits, while striking out three batters.
· Cooper Meldrim earned the win after pitching 2.1 innings of no-hit ball, walking one and striking out three.
UP NEXT –
· Brockport remain at home on Wednesday, April 17 when they host Ithaca College for another non-conference battle. First pitch is slated for 4 p.m.