Courtesy of goBrockport.com
TROY, N.Y. – The College at Brockport baseball team earned a non-conference victory on Wednesday, defeating Rennselaer Polytechnic Institute by a score of 12-3. The win gives the Green and Gold much needed momentum into a crucial series against SUNY Fredonia this weekend.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP –
- The Golden Eagles sit at 10-15 overall
- The Engineers drop to below .500 with an 11-12 mark
HOW IT HAPPENED –
- The first inning kicked off with Nicholas Pastore and Ryan Mansell getting on base to start the game.
- Tom Kretzler drove in the first run with a hard hit ground out to second base, before Lou Miceli recorded a sacrifice fly to right field to give the team a 2-0 advantage.
- The offense continued to score every inning through the sixth inning.
- In the second, it was Daniel DelGaizo who crossed the plate on a passed ball after doubling to left field.
- Anthony Eaton made the score 4-0 the next inning with an RBI double that brought in Kretzler.
- Matthew Zita scored in the fourth inning after Mansell reached on a fielder’s choice.
- RPI added their first run of the game in the fourth to cut the deficit to 5-1.
- The Golden Eagles added a run in the fifth and sixth to take a 7-1 advantage before busting it open again in the seventh.
- Michael Spulnick kicked off the scoring with a single to center field that scored Charlie Serino.
- After a Mansell walk and Kretzler reaching on an error to load the bases, Miceli sent a hard-hit double to right field to clear the bases and extend the lead to 11-1.
- Brad Nowak drove in the last run in the ninth inning with a double to right center to score Spulnick.
- A host of Brockport pitchers combined to hold the opposition to three runs and helped the team walk away with an 12-3 victory.
KEY GAME STATISTICS –
- Eaton and Serino both finished with three hits, Eaton added an RBI, while Serino recorded a run scored.
- Pastore, Kretzler and Zita each recorded multi-hit games and combined to score five runs and drive in two.
- Spulnick, Nowak, Miceli and Mansell also added RBI’s.
- Kretzler earned the win on the mound after pitching 5.0 innings of one run baseball, allowing five hits and striking out four.
- Start Martin, Kyle Canavally, Cooper Meldrim and Ryan Greco combined for 3.2 innings of scoreless baseball out of the bullpen, allowing only four hits.
UP NEXT –
- Brockport continues their stretch of road games on Friday, April 12 with a State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) battle against SUNY Fredonia.