Courtesy of goBrockport.com
HOUGHTON, N.Y. – The College at Brockport baseball team battled non-conference Houghton College on Wednesday, coming away with the victory. The Green and Gold defeated Houghton by a score of 4-1, thanks to a strong first inning and homerun by Tom Kretzler.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP –
- The Golden Eagles move to 4-3 on the year.
- The Highlanders drop to 3-8 on the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED –
· Nicholas Pastore led off with a single before Liam O’Leary executed a bunt that forced two errors, bringing in the first run.
· Kretzler later hit a sacrifice fly to center-field that brought O’Leary across home plate to give Brockport the lead 2-0.
· Cooper Meldrim had a strong 4.0 innings to start the game, striking out five batters while not allowing a run.
· The Highlanders knocked in their lone run in the bottom of the fifth.
· The Golden Eagles quickly responded in the top of the sixth with a solo home run by Kretzler to right field.
· Charlie Serino added to the lead with an RBI single up the middle that scored Aaron Cook.
KEY STATISTICS –
· Kretzler finished the day going 1-for-2 with one hit, one run and two RBI while working a walk.
· Serino went 2-for-2 at the plate with an RBI and one walk.
· On the mound, Meldrim threw four and two thirds innings for four hits, one run, striking out five
· Maddux Minton, Chris Cramer and Stuart Martin combined for four and a third innings to hold the lead. The trio struck out four and did not allow a run.
· Martin nabbed his first save of the season after getting out of trouble in the ninth.
UP NEXT –
- Up next for Brockport is a double header on Saturday, March 16 against SUNY Oneonta. The matchup will be the first battle against a State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) opponent. Game one is scheduled to start at 12 p.m. at Main Endwell High School in Binghamton, N.Y.