Fisher drops first 2019 road game on buzzer beater

Courtesy of

SCHENECTADY, N.Y. – The St. John Fisher College men’s basketball team took to the road on Tuesday for the first time in nearly two months as the Cardinals fell to Union College after the Dutchmen drilled a final second 3-pointer to come out ahead, 80-78, inside the Viniar Athletic Center.  With the loss, Fisher, which had a two-game winning streak snapped, dipped to 7-4 while Union climbed to 5-5 on the season with the win.

After reeling off seven unanswered points to close out the first half with a 39-38 lead, Fisher, which played Union for the first time in its history on Tuesday, found itself in an eight-point hole just three minutes into the second half after the Dutchmen put together an 11-2 run to begin the frame.

The Cardinals would cut the deficit to four points, 51-47 after Matt Asenjo knocked down an opener jumper, but the Dutchmen countered with six of the game’s next eight points to push their advantage back to eight points, 57-49, with 12:04 still showing on the clock.

Fisher continued to push the pace and would pull to within three points when Sean Williams found Ryan Henderson open on the block for a two-handed slam, but Union had an answer and recaptured the momentum with an 11-2 run to hold a 10-point lead, 75-65, with just over four minutes to play.

From there, the tides turned in Fisher’s favor as the Dutchmen went cold from the field while the Cardinals orchestrated a 13-2 push.  Sammy Robinson got things started with an old-fashioned 3-point play before James Leone scored five straight points including a 3-pointer to make it a four-point contest with under two minutes to go.  With Union on its heels, Dylan Harrington (Irondequoit) drove and kicked it out to Mark Scanlon who buried a clutch 3-pointer to pull Fisher to within one, 77-76.

Following a defensive stand, Fisher called a timeout to draw up a play with 30 seconds still to play.  The ball ended up in Asenjo’s hands as the sophomore rose above the defense and came through with the go-ahead bucket to give Fisher its first lead since halftime, 80-79.

Trailing by one point and with one final possession, Union inbounded the ball before hitting a step-back 3-pointer to seal the win.

In all, four players finished in double figures led by Robinson who contributed 18 points.  Harrington added a season-high 15 points, three rebounds and two assists while Leone had 13 points and eight boards in 22 minutes.  Asenjo chipped in with 11 points and six rebounds while Williams posted six points, five rebounds and four assists.

The Cardinals will jump back in to Empire 8 action at 7:30 p.m. on Friday when the host The Sages Colleges inside Manning and Napier Varsity Gymnasium on Bobby Wanzer Court.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.