RIT survives Susquehanna, moves on

Courtesy of RITathletics.com

ROCHESTER, NY – The RIT (11-5-4) women’s soccer team advanced to the second round of the 2018 NCAA Division III Women’s Soccer Championship, 4-3 on penalty kicks versus Susquehanna University (13-3-4) from frigid Tiger Stadium Saturday afternoon. RIT will face No. 2 Messiah College in the second round Sunday at 1 p.m. The Falcons defeated Centenary 2-0 in its first round game.

The game finished tied 1-1 after 110 minutes. The first round of kicks finished tied 3-3. The Tigers were down two kicks in the first round, but rallied to send it to a sudden-victory round of kicks. RIT’s Maggie Hoey (Charlotte, NC/Lincoln Charter School) converted her first attempt in the next round, and Susquehanna missed its next attempt to send RIT to the second round.

“Congratulations to Susquehanna on a great season,” said RIT head coach Liz Masterson. “They defended us really well. Our team is so resilient. I am pleased with the way we came back from a goal down, and two penalty kicks down. Now we have to turn our focus to tomorrow’s game.”

Shots were 29-5 in favor of RIT, while shots on goal were 13-4 in favor of the Tigers. RIT took 10 corner kicks to three for the River Hawks. Alyssa Salls (Plattsburgh, NY/Plattsburgh) made two saves in net for RIT, while Madison Welliver made 11 stops for the River Hawks

Susquehanna took an early lead, tallying in the third minute on a goal by Emily Sullivan. She poked home a shot off a loose ball in front of the RIT net that gave the River Hawks an early lead.

RIT equalized in the seventh minute on a shot from Emily Thiel (Seattle, WA/Roosevelt). She sent a shot in from 25 yards out off a feed from Piper Zimmerman (Sellersville, PA/Pennridge) that beat Welliver into the top corner, tying the game at 1-1.

Mia White (Littleton, CO/Rocky Mountain Deaf School) had a chance in the 21st minute to give RIT a lead when she broke in on Welliver. She could not get the ball out of her feet, and her shot from the ground was turned aside by a Susquehanna defender.

The River Hawks had a good chance to take the lead early in the second half on a shot by Anna Werner in the 49th minute. Salls was there to make the big save for RIT to keep the game tied.

The Tigers had a golden opportunity when Susquehanna was whistled for a penalty inside its penalty box in the 64th minute. Thiel had a chance for her second goal of the game, by Welliver came up with the save for Susquehanna.

Welliver made a sprawling save with six minutes to play in regulation on a shot from Abbey Saia (Monroe, CT/Masuk)Rebecca Hext (Ottawa, ON/Longfields Davidson Heights) had a chance in the first overtime period on a free kick from 20-yards out that sailed wide of the post. Thiel had a chance in the second overtime that went wide as well.

Susquehanna made its first three penalty kicks, while the Tigers made just 1-of-3. Olivia De Luca (Centerport, NY/Harborfields) converted her try and Salls made the stop on Kate Cantrell’s attempt. After a Hext make, Salls stopped Marley Clendenin’s that would have sent the River Hawks to the next round, sending the game to a sudden-victory round.

RIT’s Maggie Hoey (Charlotte, NC/Lincoln Charter School) buried her attempt, while Kathryn Perlowitz had her attempts clang off the post and away to send RIT to the second round.

It is the third appearance in the NCAA Tournament for RIT, and the second time the Tigers have advanced to the second round. Saturday’s meeting with No. 2 Messiah will be the first-ever meeting between the two schools.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.