Brockport win sets up cross-town matchup

Courtesy of

ROCHESTER, N.Y.- The College at Brockport men’s soccer team defeated St. Lawrence University Saturday night, by a score of 2-1. With the win, the Golden Eagles move on to NCAA Division III National Championships second round for the first time since 2011, while the Saints have been eliminated from the postseason.

The Golden Eagles dominated the first half of play, pressuring the Saints defenders all over their end of the field. The Green and Gold found the scoresheet at 27:13 of the first half when Quintin Volpe let a rocket go off a free kick from 15-yards outside the box, beating the Saints goalie top shelf and giving Brockport the lead, 1-0. The Saints were granted a free kick at the edge of the Brockport box with a minute and a half left in the half but Brockport’s goalkeeper Joseph Romano shut the door, sending the Golden Eagles into the locker room with the lead, 1-0.

Brockport wasted little time in the second half, scoring their second goal of the game less than ten minutes in after the St. Lawrence netminder misplayed the ball to AJ Sinclair who scored on an empty net. St. Lawrence brought the game back within one at 59:09 of the game after a Saints player was dragged down in the Brockport box resulting in a penalty kick. Following the Saints goal tensions started to flare, bringing the intensity of the match to an extremely high level. The Saints found an opportunity on a through ball with 13 minutes remaining in the half but Romano closed down the angle stood tall.

“Its the way everyone buys in, we don’t play for ourselves we play for our teammates,” said Volpe following the game “If we keep playing our style of game nobody is going to stop us.”

The Green and Gold will take on the University of Rochester in the second round of the NCAA Division III Championships Sunday, Nov. 11 with start time set for 7 p.m.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.