Second-Half Surge Propels Marist Men’s Basketball Past Saint Peter’s

Photo courtesy of Marist Athletics
Photo courtesy of Marist Athletics

Courtesy of

POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. — The Marist men’s basketball team erased a nine-point second-half deficit to capture a 70-63 win over Saint Peter’s in a Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference game at McCann Arena on Monday night.

Senior center Adam Kemp (Sherrill, N.Y.) paced four Marist scorers in double digits with 18 points and 11 rebounds. Red-shirt freshman guard Khallid Hart (Newark, Del.) scored 15 points, followed by junior swingmanChavaughn Lewis (Queens, N.Y.) with 14 and junior guard T.J. Curry (Brooklyn, N.Y.) with 10.

Marvin Dominique of Saint Peter’s had game highs of 21 points and 12 rebounds. Travis Wyche added 13 points, five assists and three rebounds.

There were five lead changes in the first 3:15 of the contest. A jumper by Dominique at the 16:45 mark put the Peacocks ahead 7-6, and they held the lead for the remainder of the half. The largest lead Saint Peter’s had was seven, 21-14 at the 9:48 mark. A three-pointer by Dominque with 1:30 left in the half put Saint Peter’s up 31-25, and that turned out to be the halftime score.

On the Peacocks’ second possession of the second half, a three-pointer by Desi Washington gave them their largest lead at 34-25 with 18:54 to go. However, Marist answered with an 8-0 run over the ensuing 2:46 cut the Saint Peter’s lead to one. Over the next three-and-a-half minutes, Saint Peter’s maintained a lead between one and five points until Marist junior swingman Manny Thomas (Brooklyn, N.Y.) tied the score at 42 apiece with a three-pointer at the 12:11 mark. With 10:25 to go, Marist re-claimed the lead on a dunk by Kemp.

A pair of free throws by Wyche tied the game for the final time at 47-47 with 7:49 to play. A three-pointer by Curry on the next possession gave the Red Foxes the lead for good at the 7:22 mark. After a pair of free throws by Dominique, a 9-0 Marist run gave the Red Foxes their largest lead at 59-49 with 5:08 left.

A lay-up by Chris Burke brought Saint Peter’s to within four at 67-63 with 26 seconds remaining. But the Red Foxes iced the game by going 3-for-4 from the line in the final 25 seconds, which included two made free throws by Curry and one by Lewis, and by forcing three missed three-point attempts by Saint Peter’s in the final 20 seconds.


Marist shot .296 (8-for-27) from the field and .111 (1-for-9) from three-point range in the first half, but rebounded to shoot .524 (11-for-21) from the field and .571 (4-for-7) from three-point range in the second half. The Red Foxes shot .750 (27-for-36) from the free-throw line and forced 16 turnovers.


Marist improved to 6-12 overall and 3-5 in the MAAC; Saint Peter’s fell to 7-10 overall and is also 3-5 in MAAC play.


The Red Foxes return to action this weekend, when they travel to western New York to take on Niagara (Friday, 7 p.m.) and Canisius (Sunday, 2 p.m.).


Notes: This is Marist’s first win this season when trailing at halftime. … It is also the Red Foxes’ first win when having a lower shooting percentage than the opponent (.404 for Saint Peter’s, .396 for Marist). … Kemp’s point total was a season high. It was his second straight double-double, third of the season and 15th of his career. … Hart was 6-for-6 from the free-throw line, making him 46-for-48 from the line in his last eight games.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.