Open Thread Thursday (11/20)

Someone please post a topic and get us started.

17 Responses to "Open Thread Thursday (11/20)"

1. crossword pete   November 20, 2008 at 12:23 pm

I was in a conversation recently where we talked about how professional athletes don’t know the history of their game or even their team. Then I read earlier this week that the NFL has a tie on Sunday in part because athletes do not know the RULES of their game. Then I read today that Pacman Jones is getting ANOTHER chance. Professional athletes are overpaid to do what they do naturally and have done since their days on the playground or in the school yard. Owners greedily take money from the public by providing “entertainment”. Excuse my rant, but this is why I will not support professional sports. That’s NOT Entertainment! That’s a travesty and thievery and just plain disgusting. And yes I know I am in a small minority on this one.

2. Casey   November 20, 2008 at 4:28 pm

Pete
    On the Clipboard you never have to excuse yourself for a rant; rants are a good thing…sometimes the best of things 🙂 I was hoping when we were having this conversation, you would post this topic.

Not that I had Don McNabb on a pedestal or anything, but he tumbled in my eyes this week. First to make the mistake and then to try and cover it by saying he doesn’t like the rule?

Somewhere, somehow too many (not all) professional athletes have gotten caught up in the hype. They complain about the scrutiny of being in the public eye, yet they are all too willing to embrace the life of a celebrity. Maybe that is the problem for me – athletes are being confused with celebrities. And the result is a focus on a lifestyle instead of a game.

I don’t know where this all gets lost. For the last two summers I have had the opportunity to work around college baseball players – amateurs. Originally, I was taken aback by their willingness to tend to the diamond, their curiosity of history, etc. Now I enjoy and respect that interaction.

I’m hoping professional athletes were all like that at some time in their lives, (they had a curiosity for their particular sport)but things just get out of control for them, and they lose a sense of priorities.

3. crossword pete   November 20, 2008 at 4:50 pm

Yes they do lose a sense of priorities. Somewhere they cross a line about whether it is about the sport or about them. When it’s about them they don’t care about the tradition and lore, they don’t care about the lcivil aw or about the rules/integrity of the game. They only care about what playing can do for them. I guess that’s why they become professionals in sports, because it is a way to take care of themselves. I guess that’s the same reason I became a professional in education, because it’s a way to take care of me and mine. The difference; I have an understanding of the purpose for what I do, I know and follow the regualtions, and I don’t do my work to create a public persona. I also understand that I am not above the civil law of this country. Those are critical differences between us run-of-the-mill people and professional athletes. They can do their thing, I am just not going to enable them by lending my support.

4. Chas   November 20, 2008 at 4:58 pm

I’d say your response is quite appropriate, Pete. You take it all in and then decide if you’ll tolerate it. You won’t so you decide not to be a fan of pro sports. The rest of us choose to accept that not only is this part of the game, but the change in athletes’ attitudes is simply a microcosm of our society. We have to live in it, so we deal with it the best we can.

This is also why I warn people not to get too wrapped up whether or not they truly “like” players. I guarantee that a lot of them who seem likable aren’t. Who cares how they are off the field, but of course draw the line with players like Pac-Man Jones. We hear rumors about A-Rod and Varitek cheating on their wives, but how many of them do we NOT know about? Who cares, really? They’re just athletes to me. Once the game is over, they’re no different from the guy who lives next door to Wally in Alaska. I don’t know that guy either.

That said, let’s make a distinction between guys like Pac-Man and guys like McNabb. I was really surprised he didn’t know the rule, I suppose I lose a little respect for him as a player in a leadership role, but it doesn’t make him a bad guy.

5. Casey   November 20, 2008 at 5:14 pm

I apologize if it appeared that I lumped Don McNabb with Adam Jones. I did not intend to do that.

McNabb’s mistake only seems acceptable when comparing it to Jones. The thing with McNabb – his mistake is actually an indicator of on-the-field performance. It is his job to know the rules. On one hand I’m happy that he is able to admit the truth, but am perplexed as to his unwillingness to accept responsibility.

6. crossword pete   November 20, 2008 at 6:10 pm

McNabb not knowing the rules as a leader is more forgiveable than McNabb not knowing the rules as one of the more erudite and respectable professional athletes. If he’s as good as it gets, that’s sad.

Chas, your point is well take; don’t get into liking the players, and learn to live with it as a microcosm of society. Still, there are only so many places where I can combat the ills of society, and not supporting pro sports is one of them. Furthermore, there are times when I think society is a reflection of sports rather than vice versa. I realize we don’t know about all the good guys or the bad, I realize the good ol’ days were probably not so good either. But, I long for the days of 10 NFL teams or 6 NHL teams and only the best of the best being out there. Too many “players” are needed now to “entertain” us, resulting in a lot of riff-raff on the field or floor. I say NO MORE! I do laugh at myself and my ludicrous thinking, but nevertheless I wish we weren’t so wrapped up in professional sports. I wish it was still a game, and not a business/showcase.

7. Chas   November 20, 2008 at 6:33 pm

I bet Shaun O’Hara, David Diehl, Rich Seubert, Kareem McKenzie and Chris Snee all know that an NFL game ends in a tie after one overtime period. Probably Kevin Boss and Madison Hedgecock too. 🙂

8. Chas   November 20, 2008 at 6:34 pm

Where’s Smitty, btw?

9. Casey   November 20, 2008 at 6:41 pm

G-Men O-Line represent!!!!!!

10. Casey   November 20, 2008 at 6:42 pm

Chas – that isn’t exactly a soup question.

11. Chas   November 20, 2008 at 6:50 pm

Does that mean you don’t care?

12. Casey   November 20, 2008 at 6:55 pm

No – it means that is a question not easily answered. 🙂

13. crossword pete   November 20, 2008 at 7:17 pm

Chas, I think I see your point once again, but I am willing to judge ALL professional sports by the actions and attitudes of those few who we hear about most often. It’s too bad for those good guys that they get judged by the poor choices of others, but that’s what happens when your “audience” includes crotchety old men like me and the media focuses on the sensational (read bad).

14. Chas   November 20, 2008 at 7:24 pm

Do you think I was trying to make another point by mentioning O’Hara, Diehl, Seubert, etc? Actually, that might have been a good point–that the “down in the trenches” guys have their act together more often than the name players–but I don’t deserve that much credit.

That was just another way for me to gratuitously celebrate the Giants offensive line. 🙂

15. Casey   November 20, 2008 at 10:14 pm

On another note – music to my ears: ‘coming off the bench will be Greg Paulus.’

16. crossword pete   November 20, 2008 at 10:53 pm

We have different taste in music. That would be a sad tune of disappointment in my ears.

17. Casey   November 21, 2008 at 5:25 am

Pete – I am enjoying it because the Duke coaching staff has finally realized that Paulus needs to play less time and coming off the bench is a better role for him. 🙂