Open Thread Thursday (10/30)

Someone get us rolling.

10 Responses to "Open Thread Thursday (10/30)"

1. wallydomer   October 30, 2008 at 11:03 am

If #6Texas Tech beats #1Texas Saturday, should they or will they rise to #1 in the rankings? My opinion is that they will not be any higher than #3, assuming Bama and Penn State remain undefeated. But SHOULD they be higher? Yes, probably. Don’t be surprised to see TT win this game.

2. Casey   October 30, 2008 at 11:13 am

How many spots did Texas move up when they beat OU earlier this season? For TT to move from #6 to #1 they would need a resounding victory – say 31-0 a la Miami over FSU from many moons ago.

3. Chas   October 30, 2008 at 11:14 am

I’m guessing they move to #3 if they win, but if they go on to beat Oklahoma St and Oklahoma, they will probably jump Penn State, and maybe Alabama.

I’m working on my BCS playoff system proposal. Maybe I’ll run some ideas by you guys.

4. Muels   October 30, 2008 at 11:51 am

Hasn’t ‘Bama already been leapfrogged once this season for the #1 spot? While I’m not enough of an expert to tell which is the better team, I have trouble jumping teams too far over other teams that have done nothing wrong, except play the teams that they are scheduled to play…

Reminds me of college basketball back during Larry Bird’s Indiana State team going undefeated throughout the season (until Magic’s Michigan State team in the Final) but struggling to get higher than #2 in the polls. The response to that was “if we are good enough for #2, aren’t we good enough for #1?” Why not reward ‘Bama for their successes as long as they continue?…

5. chas67   October 30, 2008 at 12:08 pm

I guess this discussion all depends on whether or not we’re talking about the actual polls (where people vote) or the BCS rankings, which include several rankings that take into account strength of schedule.

I’m a Penn Stater, so I don’t want it to happen, but if (and this is a huge IF) Texas Tech beats all three of those teams (they’re all in the top ten right now), they’re looking pretty good as the undefeated team that has played the toughest schedule…I think.

6. wallydomer   October 30, 2008 at 1:17 pm

Given the SEC gauntlet, ‘Bama will have several chances to bolster their foundation as #1 or #2 as long as they keep winning. I just cannot imagine an undefeated SEC team, especially after the conference championship game, not playing in the BCS title game.

Unfortunately, I think Penn State will be the odd team out if they are undefeated but accompanied by undefeateds from both the SEC and Big 12. But the odds of this happening are slim … cannot envision more than two undefeated teams … someone’s gonna lose. The big fight or argument will ensue if there is only one undefeated from a “major conference” and several one loss teams vying for the #2 spot. Then I see USC sneaking in. Yuck.

7. crossword pete   October 30, 2008 at 3:29 pm

Regardless of where TT ends up in the polls, if they win they take over the “college football belt” (see http://www.collegefootballbelt.com). Casey, 1950 was Richie Ashburn and the Whiz Kids. The Phillies won the NL pennant but not the series. And in the 30’s the A’s and Connie Mack had some amazing hitting teams, but even with Lefty Grove their pitching left a bit to be desired.

8. crossword pete   October 30, 2008 at 3:37 pm

Casey, it was Sandberg, not Hartnett. Anyone know what that might refer to?

9. Rey   October 31, 2008 at 6:57 am

Crazy stat from last night’s NBA on TNT games. The Houston Rockets are 129-60 when Yao and McGrady are in the lineup. The only problem I have with that, other than injury plagued careers in Houston, is the addition of Ron Artest. Does anyone really believe that he’ll grow up while in Houston. He won’t be any different than Adam Pacman Jones. Has Houston’s GM been consulting with Jerry Jones on personnel. Watching the game against the Mavericks last night, he gets a technical for rushing into a scuffle. He didn’t go in with the intention to get involved but get between Yao. But that’s what you’re paying for. Ron Artest rushing into a scuffle? The refs are going to pop him with a T everytime.

If he can straighten out or up, the Rockets are going to be dangerous. But I honestly don’t see him behaving himself. Hopefully Houston hasn’t hired the same body guard crew as Pacman Jones.

10. muels   October 31, 2008 at 11:07 pm

Pete-
    Are you discussing the fourth member of the HOF from the Cubbies?… a certain second baseman?…