Performance of the week (POTW) 10/20-10/26

Another week and another batch of great performances. I am giving my nod to the Penn State Nittany Lions. With their venerable head coach, Joe Paterno, in the press box, and their starting QB on the sidelines after a nasty hit, the Lions put together a drive from mid-field and took one in the ‘Shoe. What a great story this is becoming. Paterno has been a pinata of sorts in recent years, and here is the 81-year-old with his team vying for the national chan’ship.

Who gets your POTW?

13 Responses to "Performance of the week (POTW) 10/20-10/26"

1. Rey   October 26, 2008 at 10:00 pm

I have to give it to the Phillies’ pitching and defense. I don’t see a clear explanation other than a little luck and circumstance, but when your hitters are batting .061 with runners in scoring position, your pitching and defense has to feel the heat. I don’t know how they’re up 2-1, but they are. Here’s to them for quieting that dangerous TB lineup. (Game 4 is 5-1 Phils as I type this).

2. Casey   October 26, 2008 at 10:04 pm

Great call – along with the Phils fans who stayed until 1:30 am to watch their team pull off the victory Sunday morning.

3. wallydomer   October 26, 2008 at 11:44 pm

I think it’s pretty clear cut … Performance of the Week has to go to the new 49ers head coach Mike Singletary for his post game tirade/Lombardi/Rockne-Gipper rant. After listening to what he said … which was something all fans have wanted to say to the players at one time or another … I wanted to strap on a helmet and play for this guy. I think he’s gonna do well when all is said and done. Clearly … he’s gonna coach like he played … WITH EXTREME INTENSITY. Love it.

4. wallydomer   October 26, 2008 at 11:47 pm

Casey —
    OK … now I have a new ID so the blog doesn’t think I’m you. But how exactly do I get a caricature (like your cheesy Pat Riley photo)? Can I be Joe Montana, Lou Holtz, Ara, or Jim McMahon. Please help.

Wally

5. Casey   October 27, 2008 at 5:48 am

Wally – I heard that Singletary rant and thought I was in a time warp. It was great stuff – ‘this team is better off if you go in and take a shower.’

Before you upload a caricature make sure you followed all the prompts from the email I sent. For some reason your new ID is not showing up in my users area.

To get your caricature – go online and find an image that you like – google will work. Save the picture to your hard drive. Then come back to our site. Make sure you are signed in with your new identity. Find ‘your profile’ – hopefully in the ‘users’ section. You will see a spot called – ‘my picture’. Click on the browse and follow the prompts.

6. wallydomer   October 27, 2008 at 6:06 pm

Let’s see if this works.

7. wallydomer   October 27, 2008 at 6:12 pm

Oops … let’s try that again.

8. Casey   October 27, 2008 at 6:17 pm

Ok – that’s good, but for some reason you are not showing up in my administration panel. I am sending the email again. Don’t frickin’ skip any steps – geez! 🙂

9. amsmith515   October 27, 2008 at 10:14 pm

This just in – I may become a 49ers fan. Mike Singletary had me so fired up yesterday.. Wally, I think you and I could have taken the Seahawks down ourselves.

10. wallydomer   October 27, 2008 at 11:48 pm

Aaron —
    I would love to see a resurgence by the 49ers, especially under the coaching of Singletary … one of my all-time favorite players, let alone Chicago Bear. Actually, I would prefer to see him coaching da Bears … him or Ron Rivera, another former Bear linebacker. Anyone but Lovie!

11. wallydomer   October 28, 2008 at 12:50 am

Pena’s RBI single in the top of the 6th scoring Upton with the tying run probably saved MLB a huge black eye by avoiding a rain-shortened deciding game of the World Series. It would have been AWFUL if they had called the game with Philly leading 2-1 after 5 1/2 innings and awarded them the game 5 victory and therefore the title.

12. Chas   October 28, 2008 at 7:47 am

Bud Selig said this morning that he wouldn’t have let the World Series end on a rain delay, no matter what. I don’t think anyone in their right mind would argue that would have been the right call. They need to make that official though, rather than leaving it to the commissioner’s “in the best interests of baseball” power.

13. Casey   October 28, 2008 at 8:05 am

I am surprised this hasn’t already been made official. The issue of rain shortening a World Series game has to have come up prior to now.