Open Thread Thursday (10/23)

And now…back to our regularly scheduled program. Someone post a topic and get us started.

13 Responses to "Open Thread Thursday (10/23)"

1. Wally   October 23, 2008 at 6:02 pm

Probably this week’s biggest CFB game is Penn State at Ohio State. Who wins and why? I’m rooting heavily for Penn State … hope they get ‘er done.

I’ll be in Seattle this weekend … hopefully witnessing ND crush the Washington Huskies and Ty Losingham. Irish are 11 point faves.

2. Smitty   October 23, 2008 at 6:30 pm

Writing World Series Breakdown = 2 hours
    Discussing the World Series with Chas = 1 hour
    Watching Utley take Kazmir deep =

PRICELESS!!

3. crossword pete   October 23, 2008 at 7:41 pm

Wally, you get to see ND’s first road win this season (I hope)! If such is the case, Charlie may be getting you tix to EVERY road game (though no others are even remotely close to Alaska – even USC). First challenge was fun, but I can’t even begin to fathom answering those 10 in 14 minutes (or even 20 mins). I worked a full 33 and still got 2 wrong because I rushed some answers. You guys are amazing! I hope to be a bit more competitive in Challenge 2.

4. Casey   October 23, 2008 at 8:33 pm

Edgemere drive will be cheering for Joe Pa nd the Nittany Lions. I’ll take coke bottle glasses over a sweater vest any day. 🙂

5. muels   October 23, 2008 at 9:10 pm

I’m surprised Sportscenter didn’t have the Challenge as its lead story this morning- I’m pretty sure Mike and Mike got to it at some point today…

If Charlie loses to Ty Saturday then he deserves to lose his job. If the Irish players don’t understand the dynamics of this game, then Weis can’t motivate a college athlete…

Any other Patriots fan more than a little concerned with the recent infection concerns resulting in additional knife work on his knee?

Any other Patriot fans out there?

Thanks again Casey for all the hard work that we tried to carve up in record time… It was a blast…

Just wondering where the clipboard thinks Manny will end up?… My guess is Boras will push for the Yanks but I think he enjoyed the left coast- if the Dodgers don’t come up with enough dough, then the Angels could keep Manny in LA…

6. muels   October 23, 2008 at 9:11 pm

Of course I am refering to the knee of one Tom Brady- sorry for the need for editing…

7. Casey   October 23, 2008 at 9:13 pm

Muels

Did you send the link to Mike and Mike? I meant to do that and forgot.

8. Casey   October 23, 2008 at 9:15 pm

Everybody ready for season 2?

9. Chas   October 23, 2008 at 11:49 pm

I’m thinking of retiring from Who Am I? I’m trailing in the standings for the first time in how long? Maybe the skills are fading, but if I go out now, I’ll still be able to say it was on my terms. 😉

10. Wally   October 24, 2008 at 1:25 am

Manny to the Cubs in ’09. They’re goin’ for broke next season .. no holds barred.

11. Rey   October 24, 2008 at 7:28 am

Season 2 already? I’m still tired from season 1.

What is with the timing of Lute Olsen? Can you think of a more inopportune time to step down as a head coach? I just don’t see any benefit of him deciding now instead of saying in maybe August, “Hey – this is it for me.”

12. Casey   October 24, 2008 at 9:09 am

Rey

Call it striking while the iron is hot, or call it going with the mo’ – I was looking forward to season 2.

As for Lute – I want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. He has been, what appears to be, an upstanding coach for a lengthy period of time. He has my prayers if this is a serious health condition.

That being said – this again brings to light an inflexibility of the NCAA that should be reconsidered. This situation is different than the kids at Indiana and Kelvin Sampson, the mad texter, but the effect is the same. These kids should be allowed to transfer without reprisal.

As for the Arizona basketball program – eeek! The Pac-10 is figgin’ brutally tough and now this! The Wildcats MIGHT lose every conference game this year.

Wally

Manny to the Cubs – I love it! I would lustfully cheer for the Northsiders.

13. crossword pete   October 24, 2008 at 12:14 pm

Chas, trailing me in the standings is not truly trailing. My lofty status is a mirage and will return to reality soon (today). I got lucky. As I often say, even a broken clock is right twice a day!
    PS: I was disappointed that the consensus led to you NOT sharing your researching secrets. As my name would indicate, I am a master at researching crossword clues, but I can’t even BEGIN to reflect your speed and accuracy on “Who am I?”