Open Thread Thursday (10/9)

Someone pick a topic. Get us started.

12 Responses to "Open Thread Thursday (10/9)"

1. Wally   October 9, 2008 at 11:13 am

The Red River Shootout is Saturday. Oklahoma vs Texas. (If you work in the “oil patch” like I do, this game consumes a lot of the water cooler talk this week). Sooners are favored by 7. Although I’m rooting for Texas, I think OU takes it by 10 or more.

The Irish are 7.5 ‘dogs to North Carolina. I’d take the points cuz I think ND will make it close. Who wins? That’s what I’m waiting to see 🙂

LSU at Florida: Take the Tigers.

OK State at Mizzou: Again … take the Tigers.

With the baseball LCS beginning, this weekend is one of the best of the year for sports viewing … yea!

2. Chas   October 9, 2008 at 4:07 pm

Since it’s open thread thursday, I thought we could ask for people’s predictions on who will win the Who Am I? Challenge.

That’s a sport, right? 😉

3. Casey   October 9, 2008 at 6:22 pm

Wally – and you said you don’t have your finger on the pulse of college football…well okay so that’s an exaggeration. Way to get us rolling with the pigskin talk.

Clausen gets the job done this weekend. ND wins without the points.

Chas – I don’t know if Who am I is a sport, but it is becoming somewhat of a rage. 🙂

4. Casey   October 9, 2008 at 6:26 pm

In an effort to make the Who am I a little more challenging – tonight I am thinking of branching out.

5. Wally   October 9, 2008 at 7:27 pm

Cliff Branch! Got the “Who am I” already … give me a point, Casey.

Wally

6. Casey   October 9, 2008 at 7:39 pm

🙂

7. Casey   October 9, 2008 at 8:44 pm

Manny showing how far he can hit the ball and have it stay in the park – one ab = one rbi. Geez.

8. Rey   October 10, 2008 at 7:17 am

My question concerning the Who am I? challenge is are we doing it with the assistance of the internet or not? I wouldn’t say I’m computer savvy, but I know I can find these answers in no time using the internet. I’m pretty sure Chas can too. Are we going to find out who REALLY knows this stuff or are we using the internet? There’s no way knowing who’s using or not, so we would have to base this off of the honor code.

9. Rey   October 10, 2008 at 7:20 am

And since I’m in ACC country – how pathetic has Clemson become? Two nationally touted running backs and some writers even arguing that they could flirt with 11-0 at the start of the season. They lost last night at Wake Forest, probably giving the Deacons the upper hand on the ACC championship. What is Bowden doing? There’s no way he can keep up these trends and keep that job. Any chance he is in line for Florida State? Or has that already been bequeathed to someone else when Bobby Bowden leaves?

10. Casey   October 10, 2008 at 7:56 am

As far as the Who am I? Challenge – If everyone wants to go with the honor system we can, but by ‘allowing’ the internet we take away that as a possible means for blame. Besides looking up on the internet does take some time. Those who know answers from the top of their head will have the advantage. I planned to come up with a few difficult questions that will require some amount of research. Besides – I don’t want to be limited to players from the ’20th century’. 🙂 🙂 🙂

11. Casey   October 10, 2008 at 7:59 am

As for Bowden – ever since FSU won the title back in ’93, I don’t trust anything to do with that family.

12. Chas   October 10, 2008 at 9:39 am

That’s a good point, Casey. When you do the actual challenge, everybody who plays will be on the same page, so if someone knows the answer without having to research, they’ll most likely win that one. So, I think knowledge will be rewarded first, internet savvy second.

The ongoing Who Am I? we can consider the pre-season. Are you accusing me of being all flash (internet savvy) and no substance (knowledge), Rey? My lead is not that commanding. 🙂