Open Thread Thursday (9/25)

Someone post a topic – get us started.

13 Responses to "Open Thread Thursday (9/25)"

1. Rey   September 25, 2008 at 8:41 pm

Plaxico – you were doing so well. Good for the Giants for giving him a stiff fine.

Lance Armstrong – have you learned nothing from Brett Favre? We hold you high as an American hero and true inspiration. Stay out of the Brett Favre resentment realm.

Joe Morgan said the other night that he played with an MVP on a last place team. Anyone know who he is talking about? I’ve made no attempt to find out but remain curious.

The Bills are getting ripped to shreds by analysts. Who gives a crap who they’ve played or how they’ve won – the AFC East is up for grabs. Watch these guys rally behind Edwards and shut everyone up.

What about the Dolphins’ trickery! I absolutely love it! You can’t tell me those guys did not have fun running a high school type game plan.

The Red Sox are about to take first place. I just threw up in my mouth a little bit…

2. Casey   September 25, 2008 at 9:19 pm

Plaxico at his best is a malcontent. Let’s not forget he was in Barry Bonds post-season choke realm before last year.

Are you sure Morgan said last place? Here’s the list: http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/mvp_cya.shtml

I don’t see guy on there from a last-place team.

Bills may be getting ripped by the analysts, but their schedule is looking rather nice from here on out.

If memory serves me correct, you used to have a Sox hat that you donned from time to time. 🙂

3. Casey   September 26, 2008 at 10:44 am

As for Armstrong – it’s been a while since his breakup with Sheryl Crowe. Maybe he figures this is his way to receive a little attention and get himself back in the game.

4. Wally   September 26, 2008 at 1:49 pm

WhiteSox are now 0-3 in the playoffs … yes, the playoffs have started … and essentially deserve to be ousted. Only a 4 game sweep Fri-Monday will save them … and that’s NOT going to happen. They can’t stand the pressure and just wilt under it. This team is wound tighter than Sarah Palin’s Power Poof.

Give the Twins credit … they’ve been thriving on it … although their homefield advantage is abnormally high. It’s not over for the WSox … but it is … if ya know what I mean.

5. Wally   September 26, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Oh … here’s a recap from my visit Wed night to Nationals Park in Washington D.C. … great ballpark, huge open concourse in left/center … kinda like Turner Field in Atlanta. Great sightlines, totally open-air, good food and beer choices. Drew a pretty nice crowd in a meaningless game vs Marlins. Fans seemed to know their baseball. Ticket prices though the roof … wow … quite pricey … of course there’s a high degree of disposal income in that region.

What was a bit disappointing vs other brand new parks … no great visuals from inside the park to outside the park ala SanFrancisco, Pittsburgh, etc. The other disappointing feature was Washington’s pitching staff …. NOT a pretty picture. All in all, though, a very enjoyable experience and recommended viewing.

6. Casey   September 26, 2008 at 3:19 pm

Wally

And here I was expecting you to chime in about Oregon State’s upset.

Ah – you have collected another park – good for you. Nationals Park is somewhere in my future. I am jealous that you have been to Turner. We set out to get there but never arrived.

7. Wally   September 26, 2008 at 4:04 pm

Casey —
    I just don’t know what to say about USC’s debacle. It’s not quite as bad as last season’s screw-up vs Stanford at home late in the season. They will not drop further than Ohio State in the polls, and they’ll probably have enough time to recycle and hope that they are the “best 11-1 team” end of November. All that said, how can they look so bad against a mediocore team? And is this just the first of 2-3 losses? What’s your take?

I’m more worried about ND beating Purdue. This is a “must win” for CW and his staff. Since ND has more talent than PU, a loss in South Bend will strongly suggest that Charlie & Co are rather inept when it comes to getting the players to play well on Saturdays. Plus deficient in developing talented players. He will be squarely on the hot seat if the Irish lose. You might get the impression I’m rooting against him, but that’s not true at all. I really want this current team to succeed, but I’m very skeptical about this coaching staff.

8. Casey   September 26, 2008 at 4:23 pm

I have seen USC play for about 15 minutes this season, so I am probably not a great person to comment on them. How is it that Carroll manages to stay off the hot seat? Yeah he’s in the top 10 every year, but he should be. Where is there any easier place to recruit to than Southern Cal. Let’s see they bring the boys in, walk ’em around for about 15 minutes, show ’em the academic buildings (all the while the kids are thinking – well they only graduate 60% of their players, so I don’t need to worry about that). Then they take them over to field house – show them the weight room and all the other facilities. Pop in an imagined video with the kids names being announced as they rush on the field. If that doesn’t work, they throw ’em on the bus and take ’em down to the beach where clothing is at a premium. Of course after that the kids want to know where to sign. Despite all this the Trojans keep losing games like last night.

As for ND – I understand your concerns with the staff, but how much consistency do they have? It seems like a revolving door of assistant coaches in South Bend.

9. Wally   September 27, 2008 at 12:36 pm

The “revolving door” for asst coaches in South Bend is caused by Weis himself, although I’d say that revolving door is much too strong a characterization. Weis has simply replaced a few of the people he initially chose who weren’t performing. It’s his call … he’s the head guy.

10. Rey   September 27, 2008 at 12:53 pm

I think if Ozzie Guillen took his bi-polar medicine on a regular basis, the White Sox would not be pulling their best Mets impersonation. Can you imagine what this guy is like in a clubhouse after winning and losing streaks? I guess we don’t have to if we just watch his interviews.

What could be USC’s problem… I know – blame the coach! This is what I honestly believe: Pete Carroll under-prepares for what he sees as football teams with inferior talent. On the flip side, these teams are over-preparing to pull the big time upset. So you get these explosion in Stanford and Oregon State. You cannot prepare for a 5’8″ cutback style running back as you do a 6’+ power back or north-south kinda guy. That running back’s knees should have been chopped off but instead you have USC defenders wrapping their arms around his head because he’s so small. The kid is a freshman on a bad team, does anyone think Carroll could name him before this game?

I’ve been around big bulky football players now for five years and the hardest thing to teach a guy who is 6′ 200 something lbs. to do is get low and stay there to make a tackle or block.

I just think compared to other games, USC’s practice and preparation was probably nonchalant going into this game.

Then again, maybe it is the wacky schedule he prepared, with these bye weeks early on.

11. Muels   September 27, 2008 at 4:55 pm

Good or bad reaction:
    Red Saux celebrate clinching the WILD CARD like it’s 1999…

Muels’ take (note bias):
    Winning the division is nice, but just getting to the playoffs is the key, so just having the chance to defend our title is reason enough, for me, to have a full celebration. They have been through plenty this year to warrent blowing off some steam before they begin preparing for the playoffs. Let them have fun…

Curious what the Clipboard thinks…

12. Casey   September 27, 2008 at 10:09 pm

There is nothing wrong with celebrating an accomplishment, and if the Sox can still enjoy it this might say a lot about them as a team. They love playing and are having fun.

13. Rey   September 28, 2008 at 9:01 am

AL Cy Young question again: If Cliff Lee is the no-brainer, what is the argument against Francisco Rodriguez?