Open Thread Thursday (9/4)

Someone post a topic and get us started.

9 Responses to "Open Thread Thursday (9/4)"

1. Wally   September 4, 2008 at 8:44 pm

Before folks get too carried away with the start of football, let’s acknowledge that baseball is firmly in the September homestretch now with teams each having approx 22 games remaining. So today, what’s your prediction on the Elite 8 playoff teams … and take it further with predictions on how the post season plays out. Here’s mine:

AL: Boston, LAA, Minn, Tampa (wc)
    NL: Phil, LAD, Cubs, MIL (wc)

WS: Boston vs Cubs (Red Saux win … you didn’t think the Cubbies would ACTUALLY go ALL the way, did ya?)

2. Casey   September 5, 2008 at 12:40 pm

Everything is contingent. With Beckett the Sox are a World Series contender. Without Beckett the Sox are playoff contenders. Can the same correlation be made with the Cubs and Zambrano?

I am not even ready to count out the Yanks. Boston has a 13 game stretch against Tampa and Toronto.

The Twins will be tough in a short series.

I am enjoying that the Dodgers needed a 5 game winning streak to get back to .500.

Sincerely,
    A former Manny Ramirez fan

3. Chas   September 5, 2008 at 1:46 pm

This is a good idea Wally, although I agree with Casey that too much depends on the health of Beckett and Zambrano, not to mention Webb, Sheets, Harden, Wagner. The Yankees are done, though.

I’ll be back with my predictions.

4. Casey   September 5, 2008 at 2:48 pm

Chas

I loved your post: ‘How Many Ways to Balk?’

To all – when you get a chance check out Chas’s stuff / Left Field; it is featured on the column to your right.

5. Wally   September 5, 2008 at 3:07 pm

Just to defend my picks a little, given the feedback and thoughts from others …. I think the Cubs … with or without Zambrano … have the best top-to-bottom squad in the NL. Plus, he may only be out a week or 2. They’ve still got Harden and Dempster, plus a really good bullpen (when Howry doesn’t pitch). The talent and depth at all positions is really solid, if not great.

The Red Sox, with or without Beckett, have “it”. The “it” is the championship mindset, the ability to overcome obstacles or distractions, the mental toughness to focus under pressure. They’re clutch when they need to be, and players just seem to step up and rise to the occasion. All this, plus a lot of talent! A healthy Beckett makes this a no-brainer, but I think they still have enough to do it without him.

Now, I have to give some props to the Angels. It is very tough to pick against them reaching the WS … but you have my reasons above.

6. Casey   September 5, 2008 at 6:11 pm

Something else to keep in mind with the Red Sox: Jon Lester has thrown over 180 innings this year. Last year he tossed 63. His last performance was a laborious 5 inning affair. He might make like an American car factory plant and get shutdown soon.

7. Chas   September 7, 2008 at 6:47 pm

Thanks for the shout out, Casey.

8. Chas   September 8, 2008 at 10:18 am

I’m going to predict that only three of the current six division leaders will finish their season that way, and one of them is the Dodgers.

AL East – Red Sox overtake Tampa Bay down the stretch, but the Rays hold on for the wild card.
    AL Central – Francisco Liriano and the no-names pitch well enough for Minnesota to knock the White Sox out of the postseason.
    AL West – Angels, of course.

NL East – The loss of Wagner is too much for the Mets to overcome, and the Phillies win the division.
    NL Central – Cubs hang on, Brewers get the wild card.
    NL West – Dodgers hold off the struggling D-Backs.

Angels defeat Red Sox for the AL championship. Cubs beat Brewers for the NL championship, but the Angels dash the Cubs’ hopes to make history and tie the Red Sox for the most World Series titles this decade/century/millenium.

9. Smitty   October 8, 2008 at 10:21 pm

Ahhh – Tell me that isn’t someone airing out their laundry.

Seems like the Clipboard is taking on a whole new sport.